Monday, July 30, 2012

Sniff Your RESTful API

Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on a project that required full understanding of its RESTful API. During that time I was using traditional tools like my browser and an extra extension that allows me to get acquainted with the app's internal API. The main workflow (as a developer or a tester) was to make an action in the browser and then try to resolve what the hack happened under the hood.


So... I wrote an extension that made my life easier. Basically this extension provides my browser the power being aware of a specific RESTful API that is relevant to Web application. 


If you work with backbone.js, angularJS or spine (actually if you work with RESTful Web app) this can be highly valuable as you see the net traffic that is related to the Application.


First the user defines the high level endpoint structure:
Then when your app is monitored this info is presented:


Since it's an open source Github project, feel free to contribute and / or send pull requests.

No comments: